1. Make sure your card company has your full, up-to-date details. They may want to contact you in case of any unusual transactions. Likewise, be sure to have the card company's number to hand while abroad<.p>
2. Before you set off, make sure you are aware of the transaction fees, if any, on your card eg. cash withdrawal, purchase fees, foreign exchange rate commission
3. Only take cards with you on holiday that you intend to use and leave others secure at home
4. Keep an eye on all your cards while abroad, especially in restaurants and bars
5. Never give your PIN to anyone, even if asked by a policeman or your card company
6. If a retailer lets you pay in your home currency, make sure that the rate of exchange is competitive; if in doubt, pay in the local currency
7. Always check your card statements when getting back from holiday
To read the report in full, click here to be redirected straight to the Payment Advice guide.