Built in the mid 16th century by François d'Andelot on the foundations of an old fortress and restored extensively during the Wars of Religion by the architect Le Muet, the Château de Tanlay is a magnificent example of Burgundy Renaissance architecture with heavy Italian influences throughout (the pyramids at the entrance, the Cesar gallery, the nymphaeum). It has now been in the same family, the Thévenins, since the year 1704 and is encircled by a moat 21m in width. Visitors enter through what is known as the Petit Château which once had a drawbridge attached to it and which leads to the central courtyard surrounded on three sides by large walls. The main building, or the Grand Château, is entered through a small vestibule which is now decorated with tens of hunting trophies. Highlights of the château are the room painted with a trompe l'oeil effect, the fresco in the Tour de la Ligue and of course its grounds. There are two types of visit available at the château: unaccompanied (3?) which gives access only to the exterior of the building or guided (9? for adults, 5? for kids 12-18, 6 tours per day) which lasts approximately 50 minutes. The château is open from 1st April to 2nd November except Thursdays.
Château d'Ancy le Franc