As the summer holiday season approaches, holidaymakers heading to Turkey for a hard-earned beach holiday can rest assured of the quality of the beaches in the country's top holiday hotspots. Blue-flagged beaches designate beaches that have met European standards for cleanliness and sanitation with regards to both the sand and water and Turkey has over 140 beaches that have earned a blue flag, placing it seventh among European nations in the number of certified-clean beaches.
As Turkey is such a popular holiday destination with Britons, we have put together a list of top 10 blue-flagged beaches:
1. Patara (Fethiye): 50 meters wide and about 12 miles long, this beach is located 47 miles south of Fethiye, but it is worth the drive as it is one of Turkey's finest. Make sure you bring your own parasol as there is little shade.
2. Oeluedeniz (Fethiye): a fine beach with a good range of hotels, restaurants and bars, but because it's Turkey's most famous, it can get crowded.
3. Olimpos (Antalya): small, secluded, and lined by a forest filled with Roman ruins. Loacted 49 miles southwest of Antalya.
4. Side (Antalya): a once-idyllic village 40 miles east of Antalya is now crowded and noisy, but the beaches are still fine and unspoiled. Roman ruins abound.
5. Antalya: the town, about 72 miles east of Antalya, is busy and crowded, but the 14-mile long beaches means that there is plenty of sand for everyone.
6. Iztuzu (Dalyan): a good beach, with frequent logger-head turtle sightings. The town is 5 miles north west of Dalaman Airport and the river, cliff tombs and Caunos ruins are a nice bonus.
7. Bodrum Peninsula: Beaches in the towns are not great, but good smaller ones abound: although a shingle and pebble beach, it is a good spot for surfers.
8. Kemer (Antalya): a modern resort atmosphere, but day-trips are easy to organise from here.
9. Pamucak (Ephesus): a large and broad black sandy beach only 4 miles west of Ephesus, relatively clean but cigarette butts and bottlecaps may get in the way of a picnic.
10. Calis (Fethiye): a long beach near the city cradling yacht-happy Fethiye Bay, which is of a good qualiy but lacks the charm of the other beaches.
The editorial team.