A place for holidaying and where the first meeting took place between the imperial couple, (François-Joseph and Elisabeth), the city located 25 miles from Salzburg took its name from the river Ischl. Previously renowned for its spas, it benefited from the riches provided by salt ("white gold"). Freud would have given Vienna salt baths, with salt from the nearby mines. Until 1850, it was necessary to have a passport to enter this area of 21 square miles. Firstly, there is the Imperial Villa, in the heart of a 25 hectare park (see "castles"). With its hotels and villas with coloured façades along the Ischl, this city offers an ideal setting for walks. To the right of the "Café Sissy" square, the hotel where the Empress used to stay (do not miss the circular stained glass window inside), pass in front of the house where the royal couple became engaged, to the parish church, where a mass commemorates the birthday of the emperor every 18 August. A halt is advisable opposite, at the Café Ramsaver, the oldest in the City, built in 1826. It is located on the corner of the shops of Tyrolean traditional clothes decorated with buttons made from deer antlers.