• Login

Practical information Saskatchewan

  • Saskatchewan, Canada
    iStockphoto.com / NinaHenry
  • Saskatchewan, Canada
    Pictureguy66 / 123RF
Amy Adejokun
Amy Adejokun Expert destination Canada
Canada : the key figures

Area : 651036.0 km2

Population : 1072082 inhabitants

Jet Lag : Saskatchewan is 6 hours behind the UK in winter and 7 hours in summer.

Saskatchewan : Travel Information before you go!


There are several airlines that operate flights from London to Saskatchewan. United Airlines has connecting flights in Chicago and Denver; Air Canada flies via Toronto; Air France has connecting flights in Minneapolis and Amsterdam; and Lufthansa flights connect in Frankfurt and Calgary. Flight times vary between 15 and 30h from London to the province's capital, Regina, usually with two connections.


Saskatchewan's International Airports are located in the south of the province, 4 miles southwest of Regina and 3.5 miles northwest of Saskatoon. They receive both international and regional flights.


Canada is not a high-risk country and the two main cities in Saskatchewan are modern and safe. Nevertheless, if you're going to venture to the more secluded areas of the province, you need to be careful: take a satellite phone, inform your friends and family or the authorities of the start and end dates of your trip, and make sure you're properly equipped.

Before leaving, find out about the dangerous animals that you might encounter in the different regions. In the Grasslands National Park, for example, the prairie dogs sometimes dig holes that snakes and black widow spiders hide in. However, don't spend too much time worrying about it, it's just that as with any expedition into the wild, it's better to be prepared for the unexpected.

Don't forget to bring mosquitoes repellent, especially if you're going to explore the Prairies region.


English is the official language, and is spoken by the majority of the population. Each minority speaks its own dialect, and the Indians speak more than a dozen. French, although very different to French from France, is spoken in Quebec, where the two national languages are French and English.

Required travel documents for

For European citizens, a valid passport is needed to enter Canada. European tourists do not need a visa for stays shorter than six months. Otherwise the travellers are asked to leave the territory. It is possible to obtain a work or student visa at one of Canada's immigration centres.


The Protestant religion is dominant (around
46%) in the two provinces, headed up by the United and Anglican churches. The Catholics follow (around 36%), with an overwhelming majority of Roman Catholics.


Canadian Dollar (CAD)

Local transportation

The bus companies cover the two provinces and inspite of being quite slow, they are the least expensive means of transport. Due to Canada's low petrol prices car rental is not very expensive and allows for greater freedom.To hire a car, you need to be at least 21 and have held a licence for at least a year. Some car rental companies also impose a daily flat-rate supplement and a collision excess of $500 for drivers aged 21 to 25... You are advised to have a credit card if you do not wish to leave large sums of money as a security deposit. An international licence is not compulsory, however, it is often required by companies in the Anglo-Saxon provinces. The highway code is similar to Europe; the driving is on the right (60m/h maxi on a motorway, and 30m/h in town). Note that you can go right at the red light in all states apart from in Quebec.
You can also hire camping-cars. Although more expensive, they allow you to save money on accommodation. The train is comfortable for long distances, but quite expensive. The 'Canadian' train, which connects Toronto to Vancouver in three days, is another way of discovering the country. For those with bigger budgets it is possible to fly there: all the large cities have an airport served by Air Canada and Canadian. Hitch-hiking is very popular with backpackers, and hitch-hiking enthusiasts. This is very common except on the motorways, where it is forbidden. In Canada, this means of transport is even organised by the Allo-stop association, which puts drivers and passengers in contact with each other. Cycling is a very popular way of getting around all over the country. Various cycling tracks have been introduced, including in large cities.


No vaccinations are required. To get medical expenses reimbursed, personal medical insurance is necessary. Mosquitoes are a real hassle; plan to bring protection and prevention care against mosquito bites.


110 V American standard outlets, flat plugs. Bring an adaptor.

Taxes and tips

Marked prices usually do not include taxes. For most goods and services, you must add 7% for the federal tax and between 7 and 8% for the province tax. Some exceptions include books and food. Under certain conditions and in certain cases, foreigners can be reimbursed for those taxes. Brochures concerning this topic are available at the customs office in airports and in tourist offices. Concerning restaurants, taxis and cloakrooms, service is rarely included in the price and so it is thus recommended to add 15%, for fear of being subjected to a few remarks!


To call Canada from the UK, dial: +1 + the number you are trying to reach. To call the UK from Canada dial: 011 (to call abroad) + the UK country code +44 + the number without the initial 0.

Saskatchewan : Useful addresses in the country

Before leaving

Canadian Tourist Office
P.O. Box 170, Ashford, London TN24 0ZX. Tel: 0870 161 5151 (trade only) or 0906 871 5000 (60p/min). Fax: 0870 165 5665
Embassy & High Commission of Canada
Immigration & Visa section: MacDonald House, 38 Grosvenor Street, London W1K 4AA. Tel: 020 7258 6500. Fax: 020 7258 6506

At the destination

British Embassy
80 Elgin Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5K7
Tel.: 613 237 1530 (8.30am-5pm) Fax: 613 237 7980

Tourist information centre
90 Wellington street, in Ottawa (Ontario). Tel.: (613) 239 5000 or 800 465 1867.
Toronto Tourism
207 Queen's Quay Terminal, suite 509, in Toronto (Ontario) M5J1A7. Tel.: (416) 203 2500 or 800 363 1990.
Winnipeg Tourism
320-25 Forks Market Road, in Winnipeg (Manitoba).
Tel.: (204) 943 1970 or 800 665 0204.

Elsewhere in the world
Canada : Holidays
  • Holidays
  • Flights
  • Hotels
  • Flight + Hotel
  • Cars