Built during the Renaissance period (around 1559), the house where Jean de la Fontaine was born on 8th July 1621 is one of the town's finest townhouses.
To this day, it still has the magnificent exposed beam ceiling of its heyday and a small 18th-Century panelled parlour.
After Jean de la Fontaine sold it to his cousin in 1676, this elegant residence changed hands several times over the years, before becoming the property of the town itself in 1876.
Nowadays, the house is a treasure trove displaying various items connected with the fable-writer and his work, with collections consisting of a wide variety of interesting objects (such as a stove made of late-19th Century Sarreguemines ceramic and decorated with scenes depicting fables) and paintings (including the 18th-Century French School's 'La Courtisane Amoureuse', 'Portrait de la Fontaine' from Rigaud's workshop, 1684, 'Le meunier, son fils et l'âne' by Hortense d'Haudebourt-Lescot, 1784-1845, and 'Le petit chien qui secoue de l'argent et des pierreries', by Nicolas Vleughels).
In addition to these items the museum is also home to a variety of engravings, valuable editions, objets d'art, furniture, sculptures and drawings, as well as one extraordinary document in particular, namely Jean de la Fontaine's baptism certificate, which can be found in the large 17th-Century hall.
Musée Jean de la Fontaine (Jean de la Fontaine Museum).
12, rue Jean de la Fontaine - 02400 Château-Thierry.
Tel.: +33 (0)3 23 69 05 60.
Open every day except on Tuesdays.
From 1st April to 30th September, from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. From 1st October to 31st March, from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm and from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Closed on 1st January, 1st May, 1st November and 25th December.
Under 18s: ?1.70.
Free entry on Wednesdays (except for guided tours).
Guided tour: ?5.