With over 2,000 items on display (of the 15,000 pieces in its collection), this museum offers an interesting overview of both regional and Mediterranean archaeology.
Set up in 1861, the museum has been housed in the former Templars' commandery at the heart of the Medieval town since 1891. In the Roman chapel of the Templars' (located in the garden) you will find the 'transi' tomb of Guillaume de Harcigny, the doctor of Charles VI, who died in 1393.
Rest assured, though, that things become less macabre from here on in!
The Mediterranean archaeology room houses a superb collection of Mediterranean antiquities from the Bronze Age of the first centuries BC, including vases, figurines and Greek sculptures, and it is in fact the second largest collection after that of the Louvre.
The regional archaeological collection, on the other hand, covers the period from prehistory to the Renaissance, its various (glass, earthenware and bronze) artefacts offering a true insight into the daily lives of the inhabitants of the Aisne region.
The fine arts section houses a significant collection of 15th-19th Century paintings, including Mathieu Le Nain's famous work 'Le Concert', as well as sculptures and furniture dating from the medieval period through to the 19th Century. This rich collection is one of many which enables visitors to follow the evolution of the art of cabinetmakers and sculptors through the centuries.
Municipal Museum of Laon.
32, rue Georges Ermont - 02000 Laon.
Tel.: + 33 (0)3 23 20 19 87
From 1st October to 31st May, from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
From 1st June to 30th September, from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Closed every Monday, 1st January, 1st May, 14th July and 25th December.