The Abbaye aux Dames (Ladies' Abbey) and the Abbaye aux Hommes (Men's Abbey) in Caen are two cult places facing one another which should not be missed.
The first building was built around 1060 on the command of Duchess Matilda, William the Conqueror's wife, and today it houses the Regional Council of Lower Normandy.
The men's abbey, founded by William in 1060, includes Saint-Etienne's Church and conventual buildings which are now the Town Hall.
Place de la Reine-Mathilde and Jean-Marie Louvel esplanade
The abbeys of Caen are divided into two distinct buildings: The 'Men's Abbey' and the 'Women's Abbey'.© Easyvoyage.com
The Men's Abbey is now home to city hall. It was built by William the Conqueror to establish his domination of Lower Normandy.© Easyvoyage.com
This is where the remains of Matilda of Flanders, the wife of William the Conqueror, have been resting since 1083.© Easyvoyage.com