The town of Bastia was built in 1380 on a promontory which dominates the bays of Porto-Vecchio and Porto-Cardo. From the end of the 15th Century through to the 18th Century (the end of Genoese domination) the citadel was the home of the governor, as well as a prison and a High Court of Justice. In 1768, the buildings were abandoned. Having housed the island's High Council, the citadel later became the headquarters of the Regional Directorate following the revolution. In 1794, the building finally became a military building and was used as barracks for troops. It is now open for visits.
Until the 18th century, the Citadel simultaneously served as the home of the governor, the prison and the high court.© JD Dallet - age fotostock
Far from becoming an open-air museum, the Bastia Citadel is full of life and a genuine district of the city.© JD Dallet - age fotostock
Inside the fortress you will now find a museum of Corsican Ethnography.© JD Dallet - age fotostock
The 15th century Bastia Citadel is home to the Romeo Garden, a park which gently rises up towards the fortress.© Josef Fojtik - age fotostock
The fortress and its bell tower overlook the Terra Nova neighbourhood and the old port.© JD Dallet - age fotostock