In the middle of the Po valley, on land made humid and misty by the presence of Mincio River, Mantua enjoys a history which is full of art and culture. Ruled for almost four centuries by the Gonzague family, from the 14th Century to the beginning of the 18th Century, the city has played host to the most famous avant-garde artists of the Italian art scene. At the Ducal Palace, the place that the family adopted as a symbol of power, the Pisanello room and the Spouses' bedroom, which display frescos painted by Mantegna displaying scenes from the life of the Gonzague family, depict the visits of some very important figures. Just a stone's throw away from there you will find the Piazza delle Erbe (Square of the Herbs) among burnt-coloured palaces and the San Andrea Church, which was built in 1472 by Luca Fancelli (Fancelli took over its construction following the death of Leon Battista Alberti, who originally began the project). In the 16th Century, Mantua inherited another prestigious master, Jules Romain. He was one of the major players in Mannerism, and the Gonzague family entrusted him with building and decorating Te Palace, their villa located outside the city.