The 16th century Carthusian monastery of Santa María de las Cuevas stands on the right bank of the Guadalquivir River. It takes its name, Santa María de las Cuevas, from the many ovens that were installed here during the Almohade dynasty in the 12th century as a result of the abundant supply of malleable clay. During the Napoleonic invasion of 1810, however, the monks were expelled from the monastery and it was then used as a military base for French soldiers. In 1839 it was bought by an English merchant who had it turned into a ceramic and porcelain factory. Now known as the La Cartuja Monastery, it has since become home to the Andalusia Contemporary Art Centre and the island of La Cartuja was even used to celebrate the Universal Exposition in 1992.