Isolated in a valley in the region of Tarragona, the Poblet Monastery was founded in the Twelfth Century by Ramon Berenguer IV. The altarpiece of the high altar, sculpted in alabaster, represents a masterpiece from the Catalan Renaissance. The royal pantheon is home to several Gothic tombs restored in 1950. Another interesting aspect: the cloister, composed of vast galleries boasting capitals sculpted with arched motifs. The monastery has been inhabited by a Cistercian monk community since 1940.