Stanley is a small town of 1,700 inhabitants acting as the capital of the territory at the end of the world. The houses roofs are made of aluminum sheets. Brittany House houses the museum, which relates the history of the area. Two monuments commemorate the battles against the Argentinians in 1914 and 1982. The most interesting visit is undoubtedly the port. Ships anchored for decades relate the story of big maritime routes: the "Jhelum", built in 1839, by the Compagnie des Indes; the "Charles Cooper", American liner built in 1866 and the "Vicar of Bray", superb three-master, last survivor of the big ships that transported immigrants to California in their quest for gold.