• Login
Thomson scraps Tunisia summer holidays
Posted on 25/01/2016

SecurityTunisia

Twitter Facebook 16 shares

As the Foreign Office continues to advise against travel to Tunisia, tour operator Thomson has confirmed the cancellation of all its scheduled summer holidays to the North African country.

Leading British tour operator Thomson has confirmed the cancellation of all holidays to Tunisia scheduled to depart in summer 2016. The operator, a member of parent group TUI, has offered refunds or exchanges to all with bookings over the affected period.

Security fears persist

Security fears persist

The company has ceased operations in Tunisia since 33 Brits were killed in a terrorist attack near the beach resort of Sousse in June last year. The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is still advising against all but essential travel to the North African country, which was also the site of an attack at the Bardo Museum in Tunis.

"As the Foreign and Commonwealth continues to advise against all but essential travel to Tunisia, Thomson Airways can confirm the cancellation of further outbound flights from the UK to Tunisia, up to and including Monday 31st October 2016," said the company in a statement.

"Customers affected by this will be able to change their holiday to any of our destinations currently on sale, without incurring an amendment fee, or receive a full refund."

Thomson is also offering all affected customers a 30 discount if the rescheduled holiday departs on or before October 31 this year, and is booked by February 29. It stated that the discount would apply regardless of the price of the alternative holiday chosen.

"We would like to thank our customers for their continued patience and apologise for the inconvenience caused, whilst the FCO advice to Tunisia is in place," Thomson said. "We hope this information allows our customers to make alternative holiday plans."

Thomson's decision follows news that Tunisian police had foiled a second Sousse terror plot in late 2015. Though the hotels in the beach resort now lay predominantly empty, the plot was said to be targeting politicians, beaches, security centers and tourists.

RELATED ARTICLES

Mysterious lake appears in the middle of Tunisian desert
Tunisia declares state of emergency following attacks