• Login
Tunisia asks UK to reconsider travel warning
Posted on 20/07/2015

SecurityTunisia

Twitter Facebook 5 shares

Senior Tunisian officials in London will attempt to persuade the UK Foreign Office to drop its current travel warning for the nation after last month's deadly shooting.

A delegation of senior Tunisian officials arrived in London today (July 20), tasked with convincing UK Foreign Office minister Tobias Ellwood to reconsider advice warning Britons against travel to the North African country. The advice comes after last month's shooting on a beach in the popular tourist town of Sousse, which left 30 Brits dead.

Delegation to meet UK Foreign Office minister Tobias Ellwood

Delegation to meet UK Foreign Office minister Tobias Ellwood
Foreign and Commonwealth Office/Flickr

The delegation will also meet with victims' families to pass on the country's condolences. Tunisian transport minister Mahmoud Ben Romdhane said "The purpose of our stay in London is, first, to present our condolences to the families of the victims.

"Secondly, to convince the British authorities that the decision they have taken regarding Tunisia should no longer stay because it is a very painful decision for Tunisia and it is in line with the hopes of the terrorists.

"This decision will make Tunisia a remote country that no one goes to; it is the exact hope of the terrorists. This is the main message that we would like to convey to the British authorities."

Tunisia relies heavily on the tourism industry for a large proportion of its national revenue. The FCO advice against travel to the country could therefore have disastrous consequences for its economy. Mr Ben Romdhane told the Guardian that "cutting the country off was playing into the hands of the terrorists who carried out the atrocity".

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

20 reasons to avoid all travel to Tunisia